ENTRY TO CANADA VISAS – Letter of Invitation

If you require a letter of invitation you must register and pay for the conference before a letter will be sent – please, see below for VISA information and links.

Please include the following information in your request:

Address – full with city, country, and code
Paper title (if applicable)
Email address
Receipt – proof of payment for the conference.

Please send your requests to:

Thank you.



Here is a brief summary of the VISA regulations for persons travelling to Canada to attend conferences. Note that the latest and official information on travel to Canada is maintained by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/meeting.asp).

EPEC 2015 will issue this letter to you or the mission you specify to us, by e-mail once you have completed the registration process and your payment has been received.

Certain countries do not require a VISA including EU and EEA (European economic Area) nationals. In general foreign travelers require a visa for stays in Canada. An overview of countries indicating whether its citizens need to apply for visas is listed here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp).  For visa exempt travelers, find out more here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp).

Do not delay in making your VISA arrangements, if needed, for entry into Canada. Processing times by Citizenship and Immigration Canada may take a few months.  VISA arrangements are the responsibility of the participants.

Do delegates attending an event or meeting need a letter of invitation to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

Yes, delegates may need to include a letter of invitation with their TRV application and should check their local visa office  (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp) for more information. The letter of invitation establishes the purpose of the trip to Canada and provides information on the applicant’s plans in Canada. If someone is travelling to Canada for a convention, event, or conference, regardless of whether they are required to have a TRV or not, a letter of invitation assists agents at Ports of Entry to determine whether the person is a legitimate visitor and intends to attend a conference.

The letter of invitation helps the visa officer assess the resources required by the applicant during their trip to Canada. For this reason, the letter of invitation issued by the conference organizer should indicate if financial assistance is being provided (i.e., airline tickets, accommodation, etc.) to an individual to facilitate their participation in the event.

Should an entry VISA be needed, CIC strongly encourages applications sometimes be made eight (8) weeks prior to departure.  This will ensure your receipt of a VISA in time for your trip.  Please note that processing times vary from mission to mission.  You can check the typical processing times   (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp) for the mission (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp) responsible for handling your visa request; however, the posted time is not guaranteed.

For processing your VISA application, the CIC mission will need your completed CIC VISA application form (see web links #1, #5, and #6), and all supporting documents, including the letter of invitation.  EPEC 2015 will issue this letter to you or the mission you specify to us, by e-mail once you have completed the registration process and your payment has been received.

Should a VISA request not be issued for whatever reason, EPEC2015 will refund the registration fees paid per the conditions stated in the registration form.



1.     Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site:


2.     Information on visiting Canada:


3.     Do you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada:


4.     Visiting Canada – Important information for visa exempt travelers:


5.     Where to send your application for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV):


6.     Video Tutorial on completing the Temporary Resident Visa Application Form (IMM 5257)


7.     Visa Offices outside of Canada:


8.     Application processing times:


9.     Canada Border Services Agency: